Wednesday, February 20, 2008

So, How did the Quad go?

Me: “Well, the weather looked like it was going to be a mess of snow and rain, but in the end it was perfect. I could tell my endurance is not where I’d like it to be – I got so tired on the way up. I was having a good race for me though, meeting my time goals despite some nasty calf cramps, until the bike down.”

Friend: “The last leg? What happened?”

Me: “I DNF’ed. My first. Boy that was a bummer. I had a mechanical. I was so disappointed”

Friend: “What, a flat tire? Didn’t you carry stuff to fix a flat?”

Me: “Yeah, I had a flat tire…. well, really it was two flat tires….”

Friend: “Oh, so you didn’t have enough to fix two flats. That sucks.”

Me: “Yeah, and then the seat came off the titanium rails, and the carbon fork broke. Not to mention the handlebars were crumpled into a small doughnut, and the aerobars snapped off.”

:P
Here’s a picture of my ‘mechanical.’

Unfortunately, a forest service employee had a seizure while driving his truck through the bike transition area during the race. No one was hurt, miraculously, but he crashed into a line of about 15 bikes. Mine was one of the casualties. If I’d gotten to the transition area 10 minutes sooner, I could have saved my bike! D’oh!

9 comments:

Bones said...

Ouch, your bike looks a little rough around the edges! Looks like a total loss. Does your home owners insurance cover it?

Does Debi know about the bike?

Flamin' Mo said...

Yup, its toast. I think the forest service insurance will cover it, as the guy was on the job at the time. The real question is how long will it take? I sent Debi an email.... I feel badly! this was my first race with this bike too. Jane said I should have a wake for it.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

So, so sad. Good bye poor bikey, we hardly knew ye!

Anonymous said...

Since we have had bike issues 2 years in a row we will have a backup system in place next year.

http://www.createthefuturecontest.com/uploads/NTB/80/be%20the%20bike.GIF

Flamin' Mo said...

Ack! Can you image trying to climb into T1 on that? and descending would be a little scary!!!

You first....

Bones said...

Don't mean to exploit a bad situation but my QR Caliente might be up for sale. Let me know if you are interested. I don't think sizing will be a problem.

Flamin' Mo said...

Really? Hmmm.... Its a possibility! Maybe we can talk about it this weekend.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

You know, don't be discouraged. The damage on your bike will probably buff out.

Benson said...

Oh no. I'm so sad to see that. Of all the luck.
I hope replacement is quick.