Monday, February 18, 2008

Quad Prep v 3.


I love it when I come off a training day having eliminated some of that ever present self doubt.

“Coach” K and I headed out to Mt. Taylor a week before the race to do the ski and snowshoe sections. I’d been skiing a lot, so I hoped that I’d feel more powerful on the way up, and more at ease on the descent.

I woke up to a bad scene, however. I flipped on the light in the kitchen, and there was a mouse on the floor. Dead. Yuck. I left it for Co to take care of. Not proud of that, but I was grossed out and in a hurry. (Needless to say there was some kitchen cleaning done later that day!!!)

But the rest of the day was perfect, and the ski up was easy. I tried it without skins on my skis at first, but then put them on after maybe ½ mile – the slipping backwards was not helping. The snowshoe up and down was a good workout, and the descent on the skis was a blast – I didn’t even fall once. OK, I put my knee down once, but it was in a very controlled manner. Really. We ran into some guys out snowmobiling the ski course to get it level for the groomer to come out – they were really friendly, and seemed happy to see us out there. It took us about 2:40 including the stops we made on the way. Moving time was 2:00. Here’s an elevation plot to show what it was like. I wish I’d brought my camera to take photos from the top.


And, as a special bonus end to a great day, my manager called. She made me a verbal offer to become a permanent staff member where I work. I accepted. It feels like a weight has been lifted, in that I don’t have to start looking for another job. Yay!

1 comment:

Bones said...

After the Bosque fires I came home to 4 dead squirrels in my backyard. They had been poisoned and rotting in my back yard for about a week in the summer sun. Talk about nasty. - hummm, it seems someone waited for me to clean up the mess. Oh well.

Sorry to hear about your bike :( But carbon is new and shiny...