Friday, June 19, 2009

Run the Caldera Marathon

Third time… and it keeps getting better.

I love this race. Loved it the first time, when I was much slower and it was all new. When I carried a camera with me, and took pictures the whole way, and didn’t mind that the camera
(attached to my fuel belt) banged on my hip the whole time and gave me a huge bruise the next day.







Loved it the second year when it was hot but still pretty, I knew what to expect, and went faster. DP’s kids thought I was a dude as I was running down the jeep road to their aid station at mile 19. Loved that I ran 30 minutes faster than the previous year, and actually set my marathon PR by 7 minutes at this race which was incredibly tough for me.


Loved it this year. Loved feeling like I actually RAN it. Did that first mountain get less steep? Then the hill at 20 - still hard, but I remember its mythical stature from previous years, and this year it seemed a little… diminished. (The hill at 22 was still unhappy-making.) Loved having friends at the race doing it for the first time, loved carpooling with them and talking over the run. Loved that I ran 20 minutes faster than last year, and loved that it is such a small race that I finished second woman overall. This race is still gorgeous, even when running a little harder.

No comments: