Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wish fulfillment

At IMSG, I did several things right. I stayed within myself on the bike so that I could do well in the run. I ate close to my target (1680 vs target of 2200 calories). I drank. I took Tums when my stomach was in question. I took Endurolytes every half hour as planned. I enjoyed my day in part because of these things.

But finishing in 14:38 tickled an itch that I can't reach - an itch to try to go so much faster than that. To race.

If swimming a whole 9 times, and biking 115 miles a week gets me a 14:38 on a hard course, what would serious training get me? I think this is a good future goal. You know, Post Leadville.

Of course, now that thought has occurred to me, I can't stop thinking about how much I'd like to race an Ironman. And the Quad too. And maybe a marathon, I bet I could best my 3:53 marathon time. Oooo, what about my 21:40 5K time?

And then at Jay Benson (Sprint distance Tri ) this past weekend, I was the runner for a relay team on a 3 mile course....      *poof*
I ran 20:21.

It's only 3 miles, not 3.1 (5K). But it was 1 week post IM, so my recovery was still in progress. If I add 0.1 miles on to that at the same pace, I'd have finished in 21:02. Wahoo! Plus, I beat all the other relay team runners, except for one. Double wahoo! It's not qualifying for Kona, but it's still cool.

2 comments:

SWTrigal said...

You can do it Margaret-just find the right race and you will race an IRONMAN!! I will be there to cheer you on..(I still vote for IMFL)
:)

Bones said...

I'm sure you will really kick butt racing an IM! There's always Florida next year...;)