Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The St. George postscript

Post race, I was happy overall. The next day (Sunday) we had planned to go to Zion, but instead we ate Belgian waffles, retrieved our special needs bags, ate more, and Lorna and I went for a hike in Pioneer park, staying out maybe 2 hours.  The park was well worth our attention with huge boulders and interesting formations. I couldn’t resist climbing up this:

We tracked a lizard and his insect prey. It was a fairly gentle hike.  I was stiff but not sore. Which proves to me yet again that I have no idea how to push myself in a long race. I think I will try to learn this after Leadville – I accept that I might faceplant spectacularly, maybe several times. Any failures would be worth it to know that once at the finish line, I gave more than I thought I could, and every drop that I was capable of. I hope at the end of this year of “going long” I don’t feel regret about doing so slowly. Anyway, I digress. The hike really felt good, and I think helped me recover faster.  I’m sure the pizza we had after also helped me recover!

Monday, Bones, Lorna and I headed off to Zion. I was happily looking forward to hiking “the Narrrows” the scene of so many mesmerizing red sandstone slot canyon pictures. Somehow in my excitement, I drove past the visitors center. The extra 6 miles I drove meant Bones and Lorna got to enjoy the tunnels and Checkerboard Mesa, where we stopped to turn around. I met some French people and spoke with them a bit which was nearly my favorite part of the day.Ca fait longtemps que j’ai parlais francais. Ca me fait du bien.

We made it back to the visitors center and to the magnificently efficient shuttles to take us into the park to our hike at the terminus of the route. Once there, we found that the Narrows was closed – the river was too full of run-off. Too bad, but we enjoyed the short 2 mile Riverwalk hike anyway.


Then, impressed by the shuttle operator’s description of Angel’s Landing, we decide to give that hike a try. Lorna and Bones, who broke a toe in the IM, both thought they were up for the strenuous hike. On the surface, it seems like no big deal. 5 miles round trip, 1500 ft elevation gain to the top. So why would it take 4-5 hours as the park guide says?  The guide answers that question as well:

“Angels Landing is one of the world's great hikes - perhaps the best short adventure hike in any US national park. It provides amazing views of Zion Canyon. Physically, this hike isn't that challenging. Virtually anyone in average physical condition can make the trek. But it is mentally challenging because the final leg is very steep, with sheer drop-offs. Chains have been bolted to the cliff to provide secure handholds. People seriously afraid of heights should not attempt the final leg, but can still have a very enjoyable hike up to Scout Lookout.”
               looking down the trail of switchbacks

We hike up to Scout lookout with a few pauses to catch our breaths, including a fun little scramble up to this hidey hole:

At Scout lookout, I really want to go for broke and head out to Angel’s Landing. Lorna and Bones turn back – his toe would not have appreciated the scramble that ensued. The final half mile directs hikers along a fingernail of cliff to steep, vertical trails where occasionally the trail is unclear on the sandstone. The chain lets me haul myself up. At one point, the trail is 2 feet across, with sharp drop offs to either side and an open view up and down the canyon from a fantastic height. It took a good 20-25 minutes to do that ½ mile.
             the narrowest part of the trail


  the trail goes up here, and then vertically to the right... there's a chain up there somewhere.

              the view down canyon


                    the view off the point


                   the view up canyon

After enjoying the view and the experience at the point, I headed back. I scrambled back to Scout Lookout, and then ran down from there so that my friends wouldn’t have to wait long. Everything felt good to go – my legs didn’t complain, except to let me know that running in my hiking boots was not very comfortable.
To finish off our day, Bones drags us along an easy 0.6 mi trail to the lower emerald pool. Along the way we spot 3 deer and hear a turkey in the distance. Every third person we saw at the park that day was an ironman participant, it seemed. It was a fantastic, immense, beautiful day, although not very gentle on our bodies. I’m not entirely sure that we even know what that means…

1 comment:

UU Jester said...

Could have grabbed this cache while you were there. (Still could if you have the photo and can answer the questions...)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=78d4bc2c-d6cc-42f4-b818-fb9aab2e46e8