Friday, May 20, 2011

Not Sure about this, but wish I was.

Jemez 50K is tomorrow. This is my 3rd time doing the 50K, and I'd really like to break 8 hours.

Last year, I went out too fast, and in my tiredness decided to take it easy the last 6 miles. I finished with an 8:15 and felt good about that - 15 min faster than the year before. Then a few days later, on reflection, I wished I had given more, stepped up and tried for those last 6 miles.

So now the race is dead ahead. My hips and hamstrings are really tight. I don't know what my training has been good for. Seems like I'm a little faster. Seems like I should do ok, but ... I just don't know about this, after all. I haven't been memorizing my goal splits, I don't have a plan.

Sometimes these pre-race posts are about setting the bar low for guaranteed success. Is this one of those? I don't know. I feel pretty wishy-washy. And this year, no KC to run with me and keep me honest. Time to be my own best running partner and coach.

So: the plan is to keep it easy to steady through the huge climb up Caballo. Reach the top at 3h 5 min. Move through the aid stations, stop only for water and coke. Keep eating through the last 6 miles. Hit Guaje ridge AS at 6:20 or so. Run the last mile like I stole something.

I feel better already.

No comments: