Thursday, October 15, 2009

Singing with Mom

I’m not sure when Mom started playing the guitar. Before I came along, that’s for sure. Her parents weren’t particularly musically inclined, I don’t think. I’d guess it was in college.

I remember singing a lot as a family. Not the performance kind of singing, in front of the church or other group, although that happened sometimes, but just-a-part-of-the-day singing. What I’d learn later was folk music. We sang the blessing before dinner. We sang in the car on longish trips. Mom & Dad would take my brother and I to song circles where people would congregate for an afternoon or evening – in a house, in the Gnu Deli restaurant in Eau Claire where a cold bottle of sarsaparilla was a favorite fizzy treat, or around a campfire – some would bring instruments, and some just their voices. We’d sing songs we knew, and learned songs we didn’t. We’d sing in rounds or choruses. Sometimes only a few would know the song, and the rest would listen, tapping their foot, maybe shaking maracas in time. Some, like mom, were good enough to pick up the chorus after a verse or two, and suddenly what was a one or two person melody would blossom into melody and harmony and would grow to include us all.

Mom always wrote music, too. I thought almost all the songs we sang together were ones that she wrote. I even told my kindergarten class in that matter-of-fact voice of a know–it-all child that my mom wrote the song (a girl scout camp favorite) “The other day… I met a bear… a great big bear… a way out there…” I was perplexed to find out later from her that she hadn’t. There were good times – hearing my dad’s bass rumble from the driver’s seat mix with mom’s alto, or at home with dad on the auto-harp and mom playing the guitar.

I spent my pre-teen and teen years disliking everything that Mom liked. It’s practically required of teenage girls that resemble their mothers. I rolled my eyes at folk music – hid in my room during song circles.

Now, some 20 years later, I tried to show some interest and pride in my mom’s hobby. It occurred to me during our weekly phone conversations that while I wish my parents would take an interest in my athletic hobbies – even though they never really have in the past – that I was just as disconnected from my mom’s musical pursuits. And then she told me in passing about the CD she was in the process of recording.

This time, I waded into the conversation, and asked about the songs she was including. After getting over no small amount of startlement, she told me of her plans for gathering a chorus for a few songs, and a friend with a violin for another, and working up one last song to be included. “You know,” she said, “I have about 180 songs. My voice isn’t getting any younger. I should really do a Christmas album too.”

How did she write 180 songs, and I had no clue? How many of those songs would I recognize as hers? Probably about 30. She never mentions the writing of these in her annual Christmas poem. She doesn’t mention them in our weekly phone conversations. I do hope that she shares her struggles and triumphs with tempos, chords and lyrics with her singing buddies.

So when she mentioned a few weeks later that she wasn’t sure who to ask to sing in the chorus with her on a song, I took a deep breath – and volunteered. “Well, Mom, if you have troubles getting a bunch of people, I could fly up and sing with you. No pressure,” here I was half hoping she would not find this appealing, “I don’t NEED to, but if you want… if it would help…”

It took no small amount of finagling our schedules – around hay fever season, her sore shoulder, my training – but last weekend I went up.

And we sang together.

4 comments:

UU-Jester said...

Awesome. Just awesome.

I hope to hear it someday.

SWTrigal said...

WOW-That is impressive Mo..your mom writes music? Your family sounds like mine in the singing thing.."the other day i met a bear" LOL!! I sang that in girl scouts too.
I love your mom and have never met her!

ken said...

So you were holding out pacing up Sugarloaf? An inspirational tune or two would have gotten us over 10 minutes faster!

Flamin' Mo said...

Yep, writes music - all without the help of a single magic mushroom. :)
@UU Jester - ok, but remember, be nice it's my mom.
@Ken - I did sing - you just don't remember because you were hallucinating. You sang along!
:P