Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Full Moon, Fast Track

I had a great track workout tonight. I'm currently working hard at getting faster. I've had enough of this "I'm ok with always being at the back of the group" thing. I used to be faster - 23 min 5K, 52 min 10K. Ok, those aren't really fast numbers, but since moving to altitude, I've been running 10 to 12 min miles, and nothing else. Ugh. Its been 5 years of slow going, and I'm facing up to the fact that I'm not simply going to get magically faster by doing 3 runs a week, all at the same slow pace. I'm acclimated to the altitude, at least as much as I'm ever going to get, and its time to work harder.

K told me we were doing 8 x 800, and I was a little concerned about holding my pace. I'm training for a 10K PR, I'm hoping to go under 50 min. For that I should keep my 800 repeats under 3:35 with 3 minutes rest. It was a beautiful night, though, and my workout went really well:
1 3:26
2 3:30
3 3:26
4 3:29
5 3:26
6 3:24
7 3:21
8 3:16

with 2:45 rest in between. I think I could have gone under 3:25 if I had had 3 min rest. We ended just in time to see the full moon rising over the mountains, which had turned their characteristic pink color in the sunset light. Ahhh.

No comments: