Saturday, March 22, 2008

Weight training. On a bike.

Next up on the calendar:
The Santa Fe Century (bike 100 miles)

But, but... all I have to ride is my old 1980's steel Centurion. It's pink. It's heavy. The top tube is a little too long for me and my short torso. It doesn't have a saddle at the moment - I took my nice saddle off of it and put it on the dearly departed QR private reserve, which is now toast.

I will not let a little thing like a bike stand in the way of my training! I dusted the pink and white bike. I put an old saddle on the Centurion. I even tried to clean the chain. I hit the road. Three long rides under my belt, and many more ahead. I have suffered numb feet (stupid pedals), nose bleeds, flat tires, and squeaky chains. I have high velocity blood spatter on my windbreaker, and I am out of chamois butter. I average less than 15 mph. But I will not stop.

As dad would say, "Puts hair on your chest!"

I'm sending in my claim form to the Forest Service. I may offer a sacrifice in the hopes of hurrying the claims department on in processing my claim. Maybe a bug. Do you think sacrificing an insect will please the deities in charge of bicycle compensation? A spider? Maybe I should burn a piece of my carbon fiber fork with incense while singing, "Bicycle! Bicycle! I want to ride my bicycle..."

5 comments:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

15 mph on a big steele beast is pretty good. I would love to average that on my carbon! Sorry to hear that you were one of the casualties at the Quad. I hope you get your wheels back soon.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

it's pink and PURPLE and white. don't forget that.

dood - it'll totally put hair on your chest.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

I have tagged you!!! I have tagged you!

next weekend you can take your pink bike out with my pink bike and we can weight train together!

Podium quest said...

Any bike is great to ride.

Live to ride, ride to live.

I didn't realize you had a blog. I put you on my list of favorite blogs. See you at the races.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.